I’m all for a good protest. I think in some situations protests can invoke incredible movement for good (note: Egypt and Tunisia).
What I also know is that too much talking and not enough doing leads to apathy.
Occupy Wall Street started as a really great way for the American people to have a voice and educate others on the corruption that exists in government, multinational companies and banks. I’m not sure how many people found this information shocking, but I do know that it shed light on how silly it is that the richest 1% of our nation’s population are making decisions that effect the rest of the 99% … particularly decisions that led to our latest economic collapse.
Great information. Need to know information I would argue. And definitely something that needs to be changed.
While I’m glad protests worked for Egypt and Tunisia, I’m not positive it’s working for us. Actually, I am completely (dare I say 100%) positive it’s not working for us because I’m supposed to be on the same page as protesters and all I can think of is how lazy they are.
The first few weeks were helpful: educating the public on an important issue. No argument from this chick.
But here we are a month and a half in and I’m wondering if time and energy be better allocated to taking matters into our own hands, finding a job or, better yet … CREATING a job for ourselves? I think we’re smarter than this. Rhetoric and tents only go so far. At some point, you have to DO something. Stop whining, get off your ass and create the future you want for yourself. You don’t think our government is fair? Welcome to the club. You think big business and banks are mean and slimy? Seriously, where have you been? This stuff has been happening for a really long time folks. You didn’t care so much that the 1% was making decisions for you when you had a job and you could pay your mortgage. Where were you when they were building businesses off of shady deals and gross back scratching? Probably in your cubicle not caring because you had an expense account and Starbucks dispenser in the break room.
The point is: It’s shitty how things went down. But this isn’t new folks. They’ve been operating like this for a really long time. If we want things to change, we’ve got to do more than camp out like crazy people on streets all over the nation with cardboard signs and megaphones. We have to rebuild this nation and give that 1% reason to desire a change in behavior. My personal solution: create and empower small businesses and take ownership for the change I want to see in my community. How am I doing this? I quit my job in academia because they function much like our government and I refused to be a part of it. I started my own business and aim to encourage other small business owners to move full speed ahead in their visions for how they can creatively and strategically meet needs in various marketplaces.
Is this easy? Hell no. But if something goes down in my career, it will likely be because I did something stupid, not because someone else did.
Maybe Occupy should consider that. If they end up getting what they want, there won’t be anyone else to blame for future downfalls other than themselves.
Two cliches seem appropriate today: Careful what you wish for … the grass isn’t always greener.